Just warning you that this is a long post, perfect for viewing with a cup of tea.

I can't help but wish I'd taken a picture of the outside of the Hunters Hill Town Hall yesterday. Instead I'll ask you to picture the perfect Sydney sunny, crisp blue sky, winter but almost spring day. An old sandstone building festooned with colourful quilt block bunting. Yay!!! I was at the Hunters Hill Quilters biennial Quilt Show!!!

The group has been going strong since 1982. One of their most well known members is Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession fame. Here's two of her quilts..


Madness made from leftover practice blocks and scraps. It's a riot of colour and strips leading the eyes in different directions.


Her other quilt Pheasantville is full of sumptuous, beautiful fabrics. The bird feature fabric is so dreamy and I love the use of the stripes.


Nice fussy cutting.
Talking of fussy cutting, I was captured by Lindy Messenger's quilt , Amy's Mosaic Floor using fabrics from my favourite Amy Butler range, Belle.
This was the Best in Show quilt. Sky Garden by Beryl Roche. I'd give it best title too, what a great name.

A Little Bird Told Me by Deborah Laurie is inspired by an 185o's quilt. I love all the different patterns that emerge as you look at this quilt, and the colours work so well.
Oh how I love toile!!! So does Josephine Nixon with her quilt La Toile de Jouy , copied from one she saw in Le Rouvray in Paris.
The colourwash effect in this hexagon quilt is wonderful!! Fantastic use of black and white fabrics as background. The Pansy Patch by Carolyn Davis.

This is one one my very favourites. I love the calm colours and the repetition. Wendy Wilson's scrap quilt is called Leftovers.

The next 3 quilts really stood out to me.They're all quite different from each other so I didn't realise until I was reading the catalogue later that they're all by the same person, Kathie De Palo.

Shot Waves using shot cottons by Kaffe Fassett and Reece Scannell.

Perfect points! Beautiful hand quilting!
This next one got my vote for viewers choice. Framed is just a wonderland of gorgeous fabrics and bright, but not too bright. Lots of small piecing and all hand quilted in perle8 cotton. It measures 260x260cm (102x102inches) so its size adds to its impact.
This quilt is sunshine, marmalade and calendulars all mixed up and can't help but make me smile.

Kathie De Palo's third exhibit is a Wagga.
What is a Wagga? It's the Aussie quilt. Traditionally made from old blankets, tailors samples, hessian and flour sacks, really anything tough and sturdy. Generally not big, they are enough for 1 person and small enough to easily carry. Made more for function than asthetic looks waggas were used by aussie swagmen, shearers, drivers.

This is Doreen AKA the Queen of Waggas. To say she is passionate about them is an understatement.
The Hunters Hill Quilters have made lots of wonderful Waggas and have them for sale.
Keeping up the tradition of using old clothes and blankets, the woolens, tweeds, funishing fabrics make them so tactile.


Okay, I'd better leave it there. I hope you've enjoyed a little taste of the Hunters Hill Quilters 2010 Show.

Ps. Talking of quilt shows- check out the latest photos of the The Springwood Community Quilt Show Raffle Quilt here.

Cheerio.