This is one of my long posts with lots of bits and pieces so why not make a cup of tea and I'll share some snapshots from the past few weeks


On Wednesday I filled my car with lots of my quilts and headed for Woollongong where I did a show and tell at the Illawarra Quilters group meeting.  

In the half an hour lead up to the meeting the weather turned. A heavy storm with flash flooding came over on our way to the hall. It proves how dedicated members of this group are that they came out in such weather. 

I'm sorry to say my snapshots of the evening are not very snappy. I was too caught up in the moment to think of getting my camera out but I did take a couple of photos of the women setting up the hall. People started arriving and went straight to decorating the walls of the hall with their show and tell. It was wonderful to see a simple hall transformed into a quilt show. So many beautiful quilts of all styles. 


Works in progress. A lot of the quilts are those made in workshops during the year. Maybe after the workshops I teach for the group there might be show and tell of my designs? 

The room soon filled up with chatter and greetings, people getting their spots and catching up with friends.

As soon as people were settled it was time to show my quilts. Thank you to the ladies who did the holding up of my quilts. They did a great job especially as a lot of my quilts have interesting backings so they were turning them around as I rambled on.  
I talked about 20 quilts starting from my first and then selected ones through my quilting journey. It's been interesting for me to go back and look at some of my early quilts. I rambled on and the time flew by so quickly. Of course I keep thinking of the things I forgot to say about each quilt but then I think I would think that no matter how much I said about them. It was great after wards to have everyone come up onto the stage and have a closer look at the quilts. I loved meeting so many lovely quilters. I know we all say this but I'll say it again - quilters are the best!!

I haven't got any photos of me talking. If you follow the Illawarra Quilters facebook page they may post some photos there.

Here are a couple of snaps I took as I was gathering my quilts to take with me
Charming Smiles and Double Denim Wedding Ring

Prairie Point Steps

This is a cute photo - The Illawarra Quilters surprised me with a lovely gift bag and amongst the treats that were inside was a little bee plate. It looked so perfect on my table cloth as though it buzzing from flower to flower.

Someone needs to be commended for making this beautiful handmade card.



On the home front I have some snaps to prove I have been sewing. My Bernina 720 is my new best friend!

It made my heart happy to see this tiny flower and even tinier strawberry that were perfectly framed by the surrounding folded points. Isn't it great to get those rewards when playing with our fabrics.


Here are some new additions to my stash. These are all from Jennifer Paganelli's range Hotel Fredrickson. I love the way Jennifer is inspired by vintage fabrics but gives them a more modern colour palette to create her ranges. These are going to stay on my cutting table until I use them. 


Spring has been beautiful here in the Blue Mountains. Not too hot, not too cold, just right! It seems every time I go into the garden I see something new flowering. Flannel Flowers are one of my very favourites. For those who don't know these Australian native flowers have petals and foliage that really feel just like flannel. 

I've been taking advantage of the sunny weather to give my quilts a good airing. It's wonderful when they get that fresh smell of sunshine..
Summer Bubbles and The Rachael Quilt

Other sewing has included helping out with the Springwood Quilt Show 2017 raffle quilt. 
From appliqueing hexagon blocks and then seeing them come alive with sashing.
Chris, Susie and Carol


We still need to add a border but we're so pleased with how it's looking. The Springwood Community Quilt Show isn't until the fourth weekend of April but we like to get the raffle quilt finished early so it has plenty of time to be hung in different quilt shops throughout the mountains and Sydney.  If you'd like to keep up to date with it's adventures you can follow along with the Springwood Quilt Show blog or instagram @springwoodquiltshow


Talking of quilt shows it's only a couple of weeks until Modern Quilt Show Australia.
Superstar quilters Anna Marie Horner and Carolyn Friedlander are gracing our shores and doing workshops and talks. Find out more on the MQSA website or facebook, or instagram @sydney_mqg . 

I'm looking forward to catching up with quilter friends and of course seeing lots of amazing quilts from around Australia. There were twice as many entries as they have room to hang quilts so it's an honour to have a quilt accepted. I remember being blown away by the standard of quilts at last year's show and I'm sure this show will be even better. 


One last snapshot. I took this photo walking home one day. Half way home I heard rustling in the tree tops and saw two Lyrebirds flying from tree to tree. Swooping and singing their loud, clear chirping songs. Lyrebirds are usually quite shy birds and stay on the forest floor rummaging through leaf litter for bugs. I wondered if this was a mating dance, or they were protecting a nest. Either way it felt like one of those rare moments in nature that you feel privileged to see. I didn't get photos of the lyrebirds but you can see what a pretty place they have to live in. 

So there you go, lots of fun snap shots. I'll be back with more friendly Daisytown house blocks in the next post.